Why not allow more of our troops be seen by military doctors rather than being sent off base for help? Currently, about 20 percent of those receiving military health care get their care directly from military doctors — the remaining 80 percent use the off-base Tricare network. With deployments to two wars still continuing, we can expect more of our troops to be in need of care for traumatic brain injuries and post-combat trauma — and it is the nation’s responsibility and duty to provide it, in full.
New GI Bill rules allow career service members to share education benefits with their immediate families beginning in August. The benefits cover tuition and fees at any four-year public college or university at in-state rates for undergraduate studies. Military families share in the stress of deployment and combat, and should also share in the benefits.
President Obama pays special respect to the men and women serving in our military during Wednesday evening’s press conference. Obama wins praise for his work on military issues in his first 100 days. For veterans, the first 100 days are a reason to hope.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates is pressing Congress for speedy approval of $83.4 billion in war funding to continue efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Congress may also be asked to help fund Pakistan’s army as it battles insurgents. President Obama is “gravely concerned” about Pakistan. Meanwhile, the British have ended combat operations in Iraq. And they’re adding 700 troops to the war in Afghanistan. That’s where the Taliban have announced a “countersurge.” Could all US Marines be out of Iraq next year?
Years of war have created ranks of PTSD sufferers in need of our help. Virtual reality is a start, but not the end.
The Army has teamed with a temp agency to help veterans and reservists find jobs.
The US lacks a plan for how to respond to a cyberattack, according to a three-year investigation just concluded by the National Academy of Sciences.
President Obama has chosen an Iraq war veteran to direct detainee affairs at Defense Department.